MB3 and JJ will be sharing the running back job this year!
No, really, I apologize... but I just thought it was time for there to be a Diary heading above the, uh... other one.
Here are my keys for the game tonight:
- Secondary. Unfortunately, without Newman, our Safeties have a TON more to think about. The whole fabric of coverage starts to unravel if we don't find a competent guy to take care of Newman's spot. If you think Henry got picked on last year, imagine what will happen if Newman isn't dressed. One of the Cornerbacks needs to step up, and this is a good place to start.
- Linebackers. Spencer's run defense is probably the most suspect area right now. I would like to see Carpenter get more reps and see if he can start to live up to his draft position. Ellis was truly missed last year, and it will be the same this year without someone stepping up here.
- Defensive Line. It's all about the Hatcher - Spears competition. I agree that Hatcher seems to be the more productive guy. I also would not mind seeing Ratliff on the field more. In general, this is the area that worries me the least on defense. A hat-tip to Canty, he will shine this year.
- Offensive Line. I like our starting 5, the questions here are on the quality of our depth, and that is a TREMENDOUS improvement over recent year's concerns.
- Passing game. Romo, TNT, Witten... WR depth in general. Excuse me for not being even a little worried about our passing game.
- MB3 and JJ. No... nope... not even gonna start. This game is all about watching TT prove he deserves to get his reps as well.
- The Folkster and McBriar. Damn, it's about time we had a quality kicking game. For me, tonight is all about coverage. While I would like to see a great return guy, I would be more than happy to have average returns -- as long as our coverage is solid. Unfortunately, we will not know this until the regular season begins.