For lack of a better analogy, an NFL schedule is sort of like a monopoly board. The Browns were just one of those regular, Pennsylvania Avenue type of properties. The Eagles and Packers were like that scary Boardwalk and Park Place section, and the way those two teams were playing heading in, they had hotels and motels and mini malls all over the place. Losing a game at home to the 'Skins was like a bad chance card where you have to pay $200 for doctor fees or something.
The Cowboys have now reached the Baltic and Mediterranean Avenue part of the schedule. When you are looking down the barrel of Boardwalk and Park Place, you just want to come out on the other side alive and not flat broke. Now is time to iron things out. To sharpen the sword and win. To win convincingly.
The Cowboys next 3 opponents have a total of 2 wins between them. Anything less than 3 consecutive convincing wins will be a disappointment. This is an opportunity to get a full head of steam before we hit the meat of our schedule. This is also the time when we must get a few things fixed.
A few things I would like to see:
1. Balance- Okay, we see what happens when Marion Barber gets 8 carries. Enough of that. If other teams stop the run early, we better make em stop it all night.
2. Tackling- Everyone else seen enough whiffs on would-be sacks and tackles in the backfield. I know we dont tackle much in camp but it is Week 5 now. Let's go.
3. Special Special Teams- The coverage units and the Kickoff return unit have been doing well, but Pacman is too special as a returner not to be getting off. He hasn't had any room whatsoever. I know they say it is a scheme thing and he doesn't follow the wall. We'll how bout we just put a hat on a hat and let him create.
4. Less Mistakes at QB- Tony Romo is better than this. I know he will come around, but I hope it is sooner than later. Let's go Antonio.
5. Takeaways- If we are not gonna stop other teams from passing on us, can we at least gamble and pick something off every once in a while? That would be nice.
Im not as negative as this post may imply. I think everything is gonna be fine, and I still think we are gonna win the Super Bowl. It's just time to tighten the screws a little bit.
Anybody else got anything?
Another user-created commentary provided by a BTB reader.