Last year, teams held back on the wideout position. Not a single one was taken in the first round, but then ten were selected in round two.
This year, safety matched that profile. None were taken in the first round, but seven possible safeties were selected in the second round, two, Louis Delmas and Patrick Chung, were the first two players taken.
The early run on coverage safeties of interest for Dallas -- Delmas and Darcel McBath in particular -- led the Cowboys to trade down from their 51st overall pick into the 3rd round. Dallas flipped the pick for Buffalo's 3rd, 75th overall, and their 4th rounder, the 110th overall.
The Cowboys now own two of the first eleven picks tomorrow. The team owns twelve picks, two in the 3rd, 6th and 7th rounds and three each in the 4th and 5th rounds.
Here are some names to look for in the middle rounds:
- Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State
- Roy Miller, NT, Texas
- Dorell Scott, NT, Clemson
- Lawrence Sidbury, OLB, RIchmond
- Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois
- Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
- Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama
- Chip Vaughn, S, Wake Forest
- Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M
- Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma
- Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State
- Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma