I don't think the Cowboys have a talent problem. Yes, we could use some younger, more athletic offensive linemen to join Doug Free. But was the Bears' oline better than ours? The Cowboys can win with the talent on this line. They haven't lost all their skills in one year.
What I think is that the Cowboys largely have a mental toughness problem. It includes the coaches too.
1. Why do our wide receivers give animated gestures every time they make a first down? Austin does it. RW does it. Dez Bryant has joined the parade. This bugs me. Celebrate if you score a TD, okay? Otherwise, get back to the huddle for the next play. When we've scored all of 2 TDs on the year, and lost both games, there is no cause for celebration by anyone on the team.
2. Why the heck did management even trade for Alex Barron, the most penalized lineman in the NFL last year? This was a move that completely undermined team morale. Not only does Barron draw multiple holding calls in his first, and hopefully only, game, but he makes the one that costs the Cowboys the first game of the season. Jimmy Johnson never would have stood for having a guy like this on one of his Cowboys' teams.
3. After doing #2, management could have fixed the problem, and really helped restore team morale by cutting Barron the day after his penalty cost us the Washington game. This could have done more to show that management is not willing to tolerate half-hearted effort, or stupid penalties, than any other action. Yet, by coddling Barron, the Boys may have killed their season. Now, no one is accountable. You can't win that way.
4. We have Buehler as FG kicker in part because he has a monster leg. I'm sure he can kick from nearly 60 yards over the goal posts 9 out of 10 times. Yet in both of our first two games, McBriar punted when the FG try would have been under 55 yards. 3 points in either game could have made all the difference. Both punts went into the end zone, netting us less than 20 yards of field position. I say let Buehler kick the long ones. Chalk this up to the category of not allowing the players we have to do what we have them here for.
5. Where's the physicality in our play, especially on offense? We manhandled the Eagles at the end of last year. This year, we don't look like we have any interest in mixing it up. The team just looks horribly soft. For this I have no solution. We miss Tony Sparano.