Dallas Cowboys Mock Drafts: Defense All The Way?

Btb_draft_medium_mediumThe world of mock drafts is like an oriental bazaar, with draftniks peddling their mock drafts from tightly packed stalls, one more garish than the other.

It's a treacherous place, full of dimly lit back rooms where supposed insider information is handed out under the table. Where mocks way past their sell-by date are given a new paint job and sold for a fee. Where fake or improperly assembled mocks are being offered to you by click-junkies who'll hand out the picks one click at a time.

We have braved that lawless frontier to bring you only the good stuff: a wide selection of the freshest (less than two days old) and most satisfying (multiple names, multiple positions) mock drafts out there. After the break, all the mock draft goodness to satisfy your mock draft needs as we review seven brand new mock drafts, six of which have the Cowboys taking a defensive player.

Drafttek.com, 4/3/2012: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

When all things are equal, go BIG! Normally, a smart idea in drafting both football & basketball players; however, in this case, not all things are equal. There is probably a 25% chance the Cowboys trade up, 10% chance they stay at 14, and 65% chance they trade down . . . nevertheless, at #14 the 2nd best CB in this year's draft class is good value, especially when CB Jenkins starts the "mo money" chant in the last year of his rookie contract!

Ryan van Bibber, SBNation, 4/2/2012: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Dallas' defense disappointed everyone last year, it may have even cost Rob Ryan a shot at a head coaching job. Holes in the secondary were obvious, but the Cowboys also need an impact player at defensive end. Brockers is one option for the Cowboys, who might be inclined to trade out of this pick.

Bucky Brooks, NFL.com, 4/2/2012: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

The Cowboys added a big-time cornerback in Brandon Carr during free agency, but that won't preclude the team from taking another cover man in the draft. Kirkpatrick possesses the athleticism and length to match up with the elite receivers in the NFC, and his toughness on the edge will improve the unit's performance against the run and pass.

Russ Lande, Sporting News, 4/2/2012: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Brockers is great fit as a power defensive end in the Cowboys' 3-4 scheme and would help DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer pressure the quarterback.


Rob Rang, NFLdraftscout.com, 4/2/2012: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

The Cowboys awarded free agent Brandon Carr a $50 million contract in free agency but with depth a concern in a division featuring Eli Manning, Michael Vick and soon-to-be Redskins QB Robert Griffin III, cornerback remains a key area of need. Gilmore has the size, athleticism and physicality to be a standout in Rob Ryan's aggressive scheme.

Dane Brugler, NFLdraftscout.com, 4/2/2012: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

The Cowboys added a pair of guards in free agency (Nate Livings, Mackenzy Bernadeau), but need to continue and add depth on the interior of the offensive line. DeCastro isn't a flashy, household name, but the smash-mouth blocker might be the best guard prospect to enter the league in the past decade. Despite starting all 39 games in his collegiate career at right guard, NFL teams believe he can also be just as effective at left guard or center.

Sideline Scouting, 4/2/2012: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

Cowboys fans would be beyond upset at the thought of DeCastro being sniped from them by the Cardinals, but landing Fletcher Cox would be a nice consolation prize. Marcus Spears ranked among the worst 3-4 defensive ends in the league last year according to Pro Football Focus and Cox would fit nicely next to nose tackle Jay Ratliff. Cox lined up as a 4-3 defensive tackle in college, but his best fit is as a 5-technique in a three-man front. The Cowboys addressed their secondary with the signing of Brandon Carr but could look to Alabama safety Mark Barron, but Cox is a better value pick here.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Blogging The Boys

You must be a member of Blogging The Boys to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Blogging The Boys. You should read them.

Join Blogging The Boys

You must be a member of Blogging The Boys to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Blogging The Boys. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker