There is one table that I almost had to update this week - worst unanimous losses (where a large number picks one team, no one picks the other, and the other wins). We had 198 players this week, and 197 picked the Cowboys. See where that would have ranked on this table if that one had also picked Dallas (or if one hadn't picked Cleveland).
|Worst Unanimous 10-for-10 "Non-Wins"|
|2012-10||127||San Francisco||St. Louis (tie)|
|2011-08||77||New Orleans||St. Louis|
|2011-15||64||Green Bay||Kansas City|
We added six new players this week, but we lost seven from last week. So, we dropped this week, but only by one. Here is the participation table:
|Week||Played This Week||Missed This Week||Total|
As a consensus, we got more right this week than wrong. We had a bunch of games that almost everyone played - same games, same winner. The ones we won were great - 809-18 was our score on our five biggest wins. However, led by the Cowboys, Bengals, and Ravens, our three biggest losses were 11-519. Here are our results this week:
|Week #4 Results (Home in CAPS)|
|Win||Winners (we're great)||Lose|
|162||KANSAS CITY||New York Giants||3|
|109||TENNESSEE||New York Jets||11|
|58||San Francisco||ST. LOUIS||11|
|Win||Losers (we're bleep)||Lose|
|Win||Pretty Even (we're indifferent)||Lose|
For the first time this season, we picked the Dolphins correctly (picked them to lose; they lost). We still have some teams that we have picked perfectly each week, but we no longer have any that we have missed each week.Here's a look at how we have picked each team, each week (first letter - our pick; second letter - actual result):
|Picks/Results for Each Team/Each Week|
|Team||Wk 1||Wk 2||Wk 3||Wk 4||Wk 5||Wk 6||Wk 7||Wk 8||Wk 9||Wk 10||Wk 11||Wk 12||Wk 13||Wk 14||Wk 15||Wk 16||Wk 17||W||L|
|New York Giants||LL||LL||WL||LL||3||1|
|New York Jets||LW||LL||LW||LL||2||2|
As bad as our week was, we did better as a consensus and actually caught the Front Page Writers this week.We entered week #4 two behind them. In thirteen of the games, our consensus matched their consensus. However, they picked Houston and Tampa Bay to win at home, and we picked Seattle and Arizona to win on the road. So, now we're tied.
|2013 10-for-10 Consensus vs. Front Page Writers|
|Week||10-for-10 Wins||10-for-10 Losses||Front Page Wins||Front Page Losses|
We didn't come close to a 10-for-10 this week. Virtually everyone had the Cowboys, so that was one loss for each of us. There were six, that did better than the rest of us this week, and only missed two each (again, all missed the Cowboys; their other misses were spread - three Bengals, two Ravens, and one Bears).
Our scores looked like a Bell curve - a few (6) got eight right; a few more (50) got seven right; two-thirds of us got six or five (more than I am naming this week, even though I am one of those); and a few (12) at the bottom with four or fewer.
We have a new overall leader this week. I am Ironman!!! has led the past two weeks, with lsttexas hot on his heels. This week, they switched places, and lsttexas has the one game lead.
Here are the top scores from week #4, and the top overall scores. KD will publish all 265 overall scores in his next contest page.
|Top Scores This Week|
|Week #4||Score||Week #4||Score||Overall||Score||Overall||Score|
|HonorTheStar||8||jockmeister||7||I am Ironman!!!||31||CowboyBaby||28|
|ziggy 19||8||Matt Buresh||7||BigBad Joe||30||cowdog||28|
|beastygaming||7||neon greon||7||Realist Larry||30||Howleyesque||28|
|BigBad Joe||7||nikeorlipstick||7||Seatown7||30||Jebediah Flibberbrush||28|
|cjbrit||7||Realist Larry||7||CarloRue||29||KD Drummond||28|
|CowboyNeal||7||Sean N||7||Mikhaili||29||neon greon||28|
|CowboysFan1994||7||Sean Sullivan||7||Rex Pfister||29||nicomachus||28|
|Hookem Up||7||wittenfan||7||Witten mittens||29||Tallgrass Prairie||28|
|iidacii||7||83 tied with||6||9_to_88 all day||28||wittenfan||28|
|illcowboy||7||47 tied with||5||Antonio S||28||Wreck'emCowboys||28|
|jakezze01||7||9 tied with||4||BigHat in NewTexas||28||ziggy 19||28|
|jamesvb||7||3 with other||2 or 3||CDMac24||28||36 tied with||27|
This week's schedule is a little goofy, for several reasons:
- more teams (four) have byes this week, so there are only fourteen games from which we need to pick ten winners
- because of baseball (Saturday night playoff game in Oakland), the Sunday afternoon Chargers-Raiders game will now be played late Sunday night (after the NBC game) and will be on NFL Network, not CBS.
- because of the Oakland switch, the Denver-Dallas will be the only CBS doubleheader game shown, so it will be shown - in its entirety - to the whole nation (except Phoenix - Cardinals are at home on FOX during that time slot, so CBS is blacked out in Phoenix)
If you wish to make early picks on here for week #5, I ask you honor these guidelines:
- Make your winners bold. The easiest way is to use asterisks before and after your selection. For example, *San Diego* at OAKLAND will look like San Diego at OAKLAND; or, San Diego at *OAKLAND* will look like San Diego at OAKLAND.
- Be sure to pick the Cowboys game. This is mandatory.
- Once you have made your ten selections, please delete the other four games. That makes my life easier when I am tabulating close to two hundred picks each week.
- Please don't pick the Thursday night game after it has kicked off (or, worse, include it in picks that you post on Saturday or Sunday morning).
- When KD puts up his new contest page, please stop posting picks on here and post them on KD's page. It is easier on me if only one page is actively posting picks. I will still monitor both pages and will record your picks, wherever they are posted.
Week #5 (only fourteen games):
Thursday, October 3:
Buffalo at CLEVELAND
Sunday, October 6:
New Orleans at CHICAGO
New England at CINCINNATI
Detroit at GREEN BAY
Seattle at INDIANAPOLIS
Baltimore at MIAMI
Philadelphia at NEW YORK GIANTS
Jacksonville at ST. LOUIS
Kansas City at TENNESSEE
Carolina at ARIZONA
Denver at DALLAS (mandatory; must include)
Houston at SAN FRANCISCO
San Diego at OAKLAND
Monday, October 7:
New York Jets at ATLANTA
We have never had a week where most pick the Cowboys to lose, and I hope that this is not the first. I will do my part. As always, I am picking the Cowboys to win this week. Who is with me?