It's early, and this team may still make the playoffs, but for grins and giggles, I decided to look ahead and compose an early 2014 Cowboys mock draft. I honestly expect the Cowboys to finish 8-8 or 9-7, win the NFC East, and be one and done in the playoffs. There simply have been, once again, way too many injuries to overcome to go further. I have them picking 23rd in round one in an effort to be as realistic as possible. Here goes pure conjecture- hope the reader at least gets a little entertainment out of it.
Rnd. Player Position College Comments
1) Trent Murphy DE Stanford. Fast, quick twitch playmaker off the edge to replace DE Anthony Spencer, heir apparent to DeMarcus Ware
2) Gabe Jackson OG Ole Miss. Big, strong road grader in the Larry Allen mold. Will open holes for Rb's and finally give Cowboys a running game.
3) Dominique Easley DE Florida. Hard working, fast get off, disruptive. Has torn ACL suffered few weeks ago, drops him to 3rd. Steal. Can play DT.
4) Spencer Long OG Nebraska. Another road grader joins the youth movement on the O-Line.
5) Wayne Lyons CB Stanford. 6'1" CB adds needed depth to Dallas secondary.
6) Trey Millard FB Oklahoma. Tore ACL against Texas Tech, dropping him to 6th round, where Cowboys take a flyer. Great receiver out of backfield,and is excellent blocker. Moose Jr.
7a) T.J. Jones WR Notre Dame Rocket Ismail's god-son, has 4.4 speed and decent route running skills. Drops to 7th due to size; 5'11', 190lbs.
7b) Kerry Hyder DT Texas Tech. Active, high motor, productive. Undersized for NFL at 6'2", 281 pounds, but Cowboys take flyer and hope he can bulk up.
There you have it. Cowboys probably won't draft ANY of these guys, but it was fun to do. I just hope I'm wrong about them selecting at # 23 and they select 32nd.
Now if the Cowboys falter he 2nd half of the season and go 7-9 and miss the playoffs and draft 12-15, I would change the 1st pick to DT Louis Nix from Notre Dame. He won't be there at #23.