Welp, that does it for the 2013 regular season. In the end, the Cowboys probably wouldn't have done much damage in the playoffs, but it would have been fun to try. Instead, the focus moves on to the 2014 NFL Draft and Dallas' opportunity to improve their team in preparation for next season.
Seeing that Dallas is going to have to do plenty to get themselves under the salary cap, the draft might just be the only major infusion of talent this team sees.
As it stands now, Dallas and Baltimore have the same record, and the same strength of schedule. Therefore, the draft position, either 16th or 17th, will be decided via a coin flip at the NFL Combine in February. The two teams will alternate "first" each successive round.
Here's a look at the 2014 draft order for teams 1-20. Order for teams 21-32 is determined based on playoff elimination.
1. Houston Texans - 2-14 (.559)
2. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) - 3-13 (.516)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - 4-12 (.504)
4. Cleveland Browns - 4-12 (.516)
5. Oakland Raiders - 4-12 (.523)
6. Atlanta Falcons - 4-12 (.553)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 4-12 (.574)
8. Minnesota Vikings - 5-10-1 (.512)
9. Buffalo Bills - 6-10 (.520)
10. Detroit Lions - 7-9 (.457)
11. Tennessee Titans - 7-9 (.504)
12. New York Giants - 7-9 (.520)
13. St. Louis Rams - 7-9 (.551)
14. Chicago Bears - 8-8 (.465)
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - 8-8 (.469)
16 or 17. Baltimore Ravens - 8-8 (.484)
16 or 17. Dallas Cowboys - 8-8 (.484)
18. New York Jets - 8-8 (.488)
19. Miami Dolphins - 8-8 (.523)
20. Arizona Cardinals - 10-5 (.529)
Dallas currently has one pick in each of the first five rounds, and three picks in the seventh. Those extra seventh and missing sixth-rounder come courtesy of trades at the beginning of the season. They have Chicago's and Kansas City's 7th. Dallas also could reap up to four late-round compensation picks for free agents lost over last offseason.
In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.