As the draft gets closer, we tend to sort out a consensus of where certain players are going to go and thus, we produce mock drafts that often end up as big piles of wrong after the draft. However, we don't have anything better to do in that sad stretch of no football between February and April (with the exception of the first 2 weeks of free agency in March), so we make them anyway.
Two players that have been mocked as going around the 15-20 area in the draft are UNC OG Jonathan Cooper (aka my pet cat) and FSU DE Bjeorn Werner. Both have been mocked to the Cowboys at pick 18 with frequency, including the former by myself.
Now let's go over some known facts:
- The Dallas Cowboys own the 18th pick in the draft
- The New York Giants (ewww) own the 19th pick in the draft
- The Cowboys have a need at OG and a "need" at DE according to some
- Jason Pierre Paul (no matter how much I hate him) is a stud
- Justin Tuck isn't getting any younger and appeared to lose a step last season (YES!)
- Osi Umenyiora is no longer with the Giants
- The Giants defense needs to go 3 deep at DE in order to work correctly, as we saw last year when Tuck and/or Osi didn't perform
- The Giants place a very high priority on pass rushers
Let's say Bjeorn Werner and Jonathan Cooper are both on the board at 18. The Cowboys would be happy with drafting either, but they wonder if they can get something from the Giants while still getting their preferred man (Cooper). Jerry, knowing how much the Giants would love to have Werner, calls up the Giants War Room and says "Give us your third round pick and switch 1st rounders or we take Werner." If they agree, we get to rob the Giants of their third round pick and we still get our guy. If they don't, take Cooper, Draft season is lying season after all.