Six more days to go. The NFL is reaching it's offseason fever pitch in what is by far the biggest week of the NFL offseason. Starting next Thursday, the NFL will welcome a new generation of football players in its ranks. Many franchises are pinning their hopes on a few young men who can turn out to be future Pro Bowlers or may turn out to be busts. That's just the way the draft works.
But before we get all serious, it's time to have ourselves some final mock draft fun. The challenge for you: Create a Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft.
This is the third time this year we're doing this exercise, after doing our first one in January and the second one in March. So go ahead, create your Mock Draft for the Dallas Cowboys and submit it for a peer review by your fellow Blogging The Boys members.
But wait. There are rules. You can't just pick whatever players you like.
- We will use Drafttek's Mock Draft from April 16, 2013 as the basis for all mock drafts. We will assume that all draft-eligible players will be available at exactly the spot the Drafttek Mock Draft puts them at.
- Dallas owns the no. 18, 47, 80, 114, 151 and 185 picks.
- You pick at your exact spot or anywhere below that (e.g. 18th or anywhere from 18 to 28 or so)
- You are allowed only one trade down. The value you give up in the trade up must be equal to or greater than the value you receive, e.g. your 18th (900 pts) pick could get you Minnesota's 25th and 83rd picks (895 pts). Drafttek has Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack both gone at #18, so trading out of that spot might be an appealing option for some Cowboys fans.
- You may however trade up as often as you want. Again though, the value you give up in the trade up must be equal to or greater than the value you receive, e.g. your 18th (900 pts) and your 80th (190 pts) picks could get you the 15th pick (1,050 pts).
- Use this handy draft pick value calculator and the draft value chart immediately below it, it will make this exercise a lot easier.
This challenge is strictly a weekend exercise. The BTB Mock Draft challenge will close on Monday morning at 6:00 a.m. ET, and the mocks that will have generated the highest number of recommendations by then will be summarized in a post here on BTB on Monday or Tuesday. That post will feature a poll with which the BTB community will vote for the winning mock draft from the mocks that received the most recommendations over the weekend.
A benefactor who once again prefers to remain anonymous has agreed to hand out a prize for the winning mock. The winner of our Post-Free Agency Mock Challenge will receive this beautiful Cowboys pen set:
So put some effort into your mock. And perhaps even more importantly, as you read through the mocks other BTB members have posted, look for mocks that you like and rec' them (Press "rec" at the bottom of the comment with the mock you like). And don't be stingy with your rec's. It's more fun for everybody involved if we have a high rec' count.
Like the other BTB writers, I'm ineligible for the prize, but I'll submit the following mock anyway:
Rd 1. (18) Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
TRADE DOWN: 47 (430) for Miami's 54+146+166 (419)
Rd 2. (54) Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Rd 3. (80) Justin Pugh, OG, Syracuse
Rd 4. (114) Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
Rd 5. (146) Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
Rd 5. (151) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State
Rd 5. (166) Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton
Rd 6. (185) Jakar Hamilton, FS, South Carolina State