I know many of you have seen the results of what I was able to accomplish in the best interest of the franchise in two Twitter mock draft exercises. Well, SB Nation has been conducting their own two-round mock draft where each team was represented by the blog which covers them. Obviously, that put the staff of Blogging The Boys on the clock to select for the Cowboys with picks 18 and 47.
When it comes to mocks, I'll always prefer having multiple people in charge of the various teams over one person saying "I think this guy will be available when we're on the clock." It gets even better when the person selecting for other teams is tuned in to that team's needs and drafting trends. That is the case here with this two-round mock run by Mocking The Draft. Make sure you check out our brother site for all of your NFL draft needs.
When the 18th pick arrived, BTB found ourselves in a fortunate position. Pretty much every name we've had associated with us was available to be selected. We chose from DT Sheldon Richardson, OG Jonathan Cooper, S Kenny Vaccaro, DE Bjoern Werner and RT DJ Fluker. After flying to Germany and disconnecting O.C.C.'s modem, we selected:
With the 18th selection in the SBN Mock Draft, Blogging The Boys selects...
OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.
Who saw that coming? OK, put your hands down. Cooper is everything that you would hope for in a Zone Blocking Guard and while we aren't 100% sure the Cowboys are leaning this direction, that's how the tea leaves read. When he answered questions about his anchor and strength at the combine to go along with the athleticism seen on tape, one can clearly see why some mocks have the guard as a Top 12 pick. Dallas' brass is hopeful he will make it to 18 based on past drafting trends.
Here's a look at the rest of the first round.
1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jaguars: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
3. Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
4. Eagles: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
5. Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
6. Browns: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
7. Cardinals: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
8. Bills: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
9. Jets: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
10. Titans: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
11. Chargers: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
12. Dolphins: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
13. Buccaneers: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
14. Panthers: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
15. Saints: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
16. Rams: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
17. Steelers: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
18. Cowboys: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
19. Giants: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
20. Bears: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
21. Bengals: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
22. Rams: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
23. Vikings: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
24. Colts: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
25. Vikings: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
26. Packers: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
27. Texans: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
28. Broncos: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
29. Patriots: Keenan Allen, WR, California
30. Falcons: Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
31. 49ers: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
32. Ravens: Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
As the second pick for the Cowboys came into focus, we weren't afforded the same options that we were in the first round. Common targets went off the board before we hit the clock as Sylvester Williams, Terron Armstead and Kawann Short were plucked by pick 45. There was one name that remained for us and we quickly turned in our pick.
With the 47th selection in the SBN Mock Draft, Blogging The Boys selects...
FS Eric Reid, LSU.
We didn't even have to disconnect The Goog from the rest of the world for this one, as he is all on board with Eric Reid. Some might say that Reid is the best option for what the Cowboys are looking for in their expected Tampa-2. The ability to play single-high safety, aka centerfield, is something that Reid seems taylor-made for. He did have a less productive senior season than junior, but that might have had to do with the downgrade at the cornerback positions from one year to the next.
Here's how the rest of the second round unfolded.
34. 49ers: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
35. Eagles: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
36. Lions: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
37. Bengals: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
38. Cardinals: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
39. Jets: Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina State
40. Titans: Barrett Jones, C, Alabama
41. Bills: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
42. Dolphins: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
43. Buccaneers: Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
44. Panthers: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
45. Chargers: Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas Pine-Bluff
46. Rams: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
47. Cowboys: Eric Reid, S, LSU
48. Steelers: Matt Elam, S, Florida
49. Giants: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
50. Bears: Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
51. Redskins: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
52. Vikings: Robert Woods, WR, USC
53. Bengals: Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina
54. Dolphins: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
55. Packers: Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
56. Seahawks: Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
57. Texans: Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Western
58. Broncos: Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn
59. Patriots: Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
60. Falcons: David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
61. 49ers: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
62. Ravens: Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
So what say you? Would you be satisfied with a haul of Cooper and Reid? Would you rather have hauled a different combination? Which team do you think made out like bandits here?