Last week I broke down the off season moves that were made by each of the Cowboys divisional rivals. Now that training camp has begun, I will be serving up a weekly look at what is currently transpiring around the NFC East.
New York Giants
- While Cowboys fans are excited about the battles between Dez Bryant and Mo Claiborne; our friends in New York are being treated to a similar contest between two of their young stars. Ed Valentine of Big Blue View explains:
The third day of training camp practices for the New York Giants was highlighted by a terrific battle between two young, developing players the Giants desperately need to step up in 2013 -- third-year cornerback Prince Amukamara and second-year wide receiver Rueben Randle.
It's impossible to declare a winner in their one-on-one contest. Each player had his moments.
- Although the Giants do have several players coming off of injuries; so far the opening few days have been injury free. The only issue to report is that wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is dealing with a slight groin injury. Another issue of particular concern to Dallas is the recovery of Jason Pierre-Paul. According to the latest news, JPP is 70% sure that he will be ready for the opening game against Dallas.
- Texas A&M product Demontre Moore is impressing coaches during his rookie camp. The defensive end has shown up strong in the pass rush and appears to be giving first round pick Justin Pugh fits. Along with the addition of Cullen Jenkins on the defensive line, it looks like the early tale of the Giants camp is a saga of the rich getting richer.
- The first big question everyone asks about the Redskins concerns the progress RGIII is making. For now, Bobby Trey continues to be limited, WJLA in Richmond gives a rundown of what camp is like for Griffin. He currently is limited to individual and 7 on 7 drills, although Mike Shanahan is slowly adding things to his plate. Griffin reports that, for him, it is an exercise in patience.
- The Redskins are facing a pair of suspensions to start the season; both Jarvis Jenkins and Rob Jackson will miss four games each for violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy. Here is more from Dan Chiarrocchi of Hogs Haven.
- In addition to the suspensions, injuries are taking their toll as well. Even though the team received positive news regarding DeAngelo Hall and Trent Williams recently; Adam Carriker, with an injured quad, and Kennan Robinson, who has a torn pec, are serious blows to the Washington defense. Donte' Stallworth has also missed three practices with hamstring issues.
- It has been a rough camp for the Eagles so far. Both Jeremy Maclin and linebacker Jason Phillips have already been lost for the season thanks to ACL injuries. Offensive lineman Todd Herremans has also missed time due to knee issues.
- An interesting note: Chip Kelly will not be allowing much contact in his "padded" practices. Brandon Lee Gowton of Bleeding Green Nation passes this along:
HC Chip Kelly - (picture):
• On if the Eagles will tackle to the ground in practice: "No, we have four preseason games for that."
- Still no news out of Philly regarding who will be the Eagles quarterback in 2013. The one thing we know for sure: it won't be Donovan McNabb. The former starter in Philadelphia, he Donovan returned for one day to retire from the NFL as an Eagle.
So far, there is not much to report other than the injuries. That will change as things really get into full swing around the division, and I will be here to keep everyone up to date. For now I will leave you with a quote that sums up my intent with this series:
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.