I believe there are several reason the cowboys should strongly consider drafting a safety in the first roundof the draft. Yes I understand the defensive line is the biggest need and should be biggest priority in the draft. I wouldn't be mad if cowboys ignored the safety position in the draft' but I will explain why it would make to much sense to draft a safety in the first round of the draft.
1. The first reason I believe it makes sense to draft a safety in the first round is injury concerns. This team has been depleted by injuries of the pass few season. If Barry Church or JJ Wilcox get injured, then who takes over and start at safety. I am not sure we can depend on guys like Jeff Heath, Matt Johnson, and Danny McCray. The last thing we need is a repeat of 2012 when we lost Barry Church for the season.I think depth at the safety position is a must and drafting a safety in the first round will help.
2. The second reason I believe drafting a safety in the first round make sense is the lack of true free safety on the roster. Outside of Matt Johnson there isn't a true free safety on this roster. Matt Johnson hasn't played a down of regular season football in two season and I am not sure he is the answer as the ballhawking safety the cowboys are looking for. It might be time for the cowboys to move on from Matt Johnson,and drafting a safety in the first round of the draft could be the answer.
3. The third reason I believe drafting safety in first round make sense is I believe there probably a good chance we will see more three safety looks from the cowboys next season with Barry Church moving to linebacker position in the Nickle package. If that is the case then another starring quality safety will be needed to fill that role. I don't believe we have anybody on this team that can fill that role and we don't have money to bring a starting quality safety in free agency, so the best option would be drafting one.
4. The fourth reason I believe drafting a safety in the first round make sense is the dropoff at safety after Ha Ha and Pyror is significant. If you are looking to draft a safety that can make an immediate impact then its first round or bust. Although D Line is our biggest need the dropoff in talent is not as significant as is the case at the with the safety position. I believe starting quality defensive lineman can be had in mid round of the draft. So to me that why drafting a safety in first round make sense the position is just not that deep in this year draft.
5. My final reason I believe drafting a safety in the first round make sense is we have heard talk about how cowboys defense want to resemble the seahawks defense. In order for that to happen we need a ballhawking center field safety like Earl Thomas. I believe Pryor or Ha Ha has the potential to fill that role me personally like Pryor a little more than Ha Ha even though Ha Ha. Has proving his self against the top talent in college football. I believe that having that center field safety will allow cowboys to be able to blitz more and allow Barry Church to focus more on playing closer to the line of scrimmage.
These are several reasons I believe it makes sense to draft a safety in the first round. I strongly believe it should be considered as a strong option for the the cowboys. I believe drafting Ha Ha or Pryor will improve a bad secondary.