This is after the first 3 rounds, Dallas has picked Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence.
To start off, I think that the two players that the cowboys have picked are likely good solid players,but the drafting strategy of the Cowboys appears very short sighted.
With the first two picks they have improved the O Line and D Line, but have they really improved the team very much? Will these two picks take Dallas over the top? I for one don't think so. The offensive line was not a point of weakness, it was the defense. We should have gone to the draft with an explicit goal to improve the defense. Most first year defensive ends don't have a major impact on the team. If D-Law has 6-8 sacks next year, it would be a successful campaign, I don;t think that alone is enough to take us to the next level, the level above the 8-8 midlife crisis that we call the cowboys.
If I were handling the draft this is what I would do,
1. Trade #16 to Cleveland for 26 and 83. They did the same deal with the eagles, at 20, so the Cowboys should have gotten some more, maybe an additional 5th or 6th. The cowboys were probably asking for the second. Anyway, I would take 26 and 83.
2. With 26, draft Demarcus Lawrence
3. With 47, draft Timmy Jernigan/Scott Crighton/Kony Ealy, whomever is highest on the board
4. With 78, draft Kareem Martin, Josh Huff, Gabe Jackson, whomever is highest on the cowboys board
5. With 83, draft Kareem Martin, Josh Huff, Trai Turner (in case no Gabe)whomever is highest on the cowboys board
My Personal Preference
1. Demarcus Lawrence
2. Timmy Jernigan or Crighton
3. Josh Huff
4. Trai Turner
Is this better than
Zack Martin & Demarcus Lawrence or not?