Although many proclaim the Dallas Cowboys defense will be worse than last year. I have to agree with owner Jerry Jones who was quoted saying," we were so bad last year, there's no place but up" when asked about the teams future. Here are 5 reasons I agree with owner Jerry Jones:
- Its a brand new season and with that comes a hope of a healthy team. Especially in the latter months of the season and even with the recent loss of Sean Lee. This strength and conditioning staff/ training staff better get their act together.
- Rod Marinelli is the new defensive coordinator and with that will come different schemes. Although the Cowboys run a 4-3 I fully expect them to be in Nickel coverage most of the year. We've seen early in mini camp that that's been the case with likes of Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, and Orlando Scandrick on the field at the same time. I believe this will be the Cowboys best set and will help with the loss of Sean Lee by taking a linebacker off the field. I also believe the Cowboys will run much more man defense this year and Rod Marinelli has eluded to that. That's comforting news considering last years wide open zones.
- The Cowboys have tons of new comers. These new comers include: Henry Melton, Jeremy Mincey, DeMarcus Lawerence, Anthony Hitchens,and Terrell McClain. And that's just a list of players I'm expecting to preform right off the bat. They also drafted 5 defensive players in the 7th round and signed a load of UDFA.
- The Cowboys have some wild cards on Defense. Plenty of Cowboy fans are excited to see Tryone Crawford back on the field and with good reason. The Cowboys might also get an increased contribution from Anthony Spencer this year, as well as:Ben Bass,Matt Johnson, DeVonte Holloman, and Morris Claiborne each of whom had an injury plagued year.
- The Cowboys offense will be better this year. Frankly....they have to be.
And that's why I believe the Cowboys defense has no place to go but up.