Usually when we talk about people on the hot seat in football, we are talking about coaches. We already had some discussion about Jason Garrett and whether he is on the hot seat. But what about some players? Here are five guys who I think are definitely on the hot seat in 2014.
1. Bruce Carter - Perhaps no one is sitting on a hotter flame than the North Carolina product who plays the Will linebacker spot. Why is his seat so hot? The Cowboys admitted they wanted to draft Ryan Shazier in the first round of the 2014 draft, effectively replacing Carter as the starter. The Will linebacker is one of the key positions in this defense, you have to be a star to play it and make this scheme work. Carter has the 2014 season to prove it.
2. Brandon Carr - He's making a ton of money from his $50.1 million free agent contract, but has yet to put together a whole season worthy of his status. He's shown flashes of being a shut-down guy, but no consistency. After the 2014 season, his contract becomes palatable in terms of releasing him.
3. Doug Free - Sure, he looked pretty good last year, but that was just one season after he took a big pay cut to remain with the team after having an abysmal season a couple of years ago. He has to prove he can be consistent and stack a couple of good years together or the Cowboys could be looking for a new right tackle.
4. Morris Claiborne - It's time for him to live up to his draft pedigree. No excuses this year.
5. DeMarco Murray - Wait ... what? At first glance it makes no sense, but he's not on this list because of poor play. Murray is playing out the final year of his rookie contract and he's had some injury-plagued season. How he plays this year will go a long way towards deciding how much the Cowboys are willing to invest in him for the future. Second contracts for running backs are tricky things, and Dallas has been burned in the past by doing them. To me, this will be very interesting to watch.
Okay, that's just my opinion. Which Cowboys players do you have on the hot seat?