Watching the scouting combine yesterday for the offensive linemen I came away with these thoughts.
- Besides D'Brick Ferguson, no other tackle in the first round is a sure thing. Based on this I'm almost positive we'll sign our RT in free agency and will not use our first-round pick on a lineman.
- If for some reason I'm wrong about that, Marcus McNeil would be my choice. He showed good athleticism yesterday especially for his size (6-9, 338 lbs.). He ran a 5.07 second 40-yard dash at the combine, that's moving for a big man.
- More likely, the Cowboys will be drafting for depth on the line somewhere from the 2nd round on. If somehow Charles Spencer (6-5, 330 lbs.) who ran a 5.25 dash and had 30 reps on the bench or Max-Jean Gilles fell to us in the 2nd round, it would be hard to pass them up. Either would serve as the successor to Larry Allen.
- One guy who could help at RT down the line might be Andrew Whitworth out of LSU (6-7, 322 lbs.). He showed pretty well at the combine and might be had on the first day in one of the later rounds. He ran a 5.15 dash and had 28 reps on the bench and showed some agility in the drills.
- My sleeper pick: T Guy Whimper (6-6, 302 lbs.). I hadn't even heard of this kid out of East Carolina until I saw him at the combine, but was impressed with his athleticism. If you want to take a shot on a lineman on the second day of the draft this kid might be the one.