Things I liked about the recent minicamp.
- Terrell Owens catching footballs. I thought he would come back healthy and be able to catch the football with his surgically repaired finger, but there was always a little worry about it. It’s good to get that out of the way.
- Tony Romo looking sharp. By all accounts, Romo was on during the passing sessions and completed passes all over the field. Always a good thing.
- Anthony Spencer lining up with the 1’s. Spence is the future at SOLB so we might as well throw him into the fire and get the transition process going. Whether he starts or backs up Ellis, he needs to learn the position.
- Bobby Carpenter lining up as an inside linebacker. I think this might be his natural position in the Phillips 34. Although he can swing back and forth, I would to see him establish himself as a force in the middle.
- The fullback is back, baby!
- Praise for Marcus Spears, Chris Canty and Jason Hatcher. The defensive ends were a disappointment last year, but Wade seems to like what he sees so far with the new defensive scheme.
- Roy Williams lining up as a linebacker in the nickel, dime, or whatever you want to call it. Also, all the talk coming from Wade and Brian Stewart about blitzing Roy and playing him close to the line. This is music to my ears.
Things I didn’t like about the recent minicamp.
- Too much moaning and complaining about the Parcells regime and other stuff. Marcus Spears, Julius Jones, Kevin Burnett, etc. - no matter how true your complaints may be in your own perception, we really don’t need you to make excuses in the press.
- Brad Johnson doesn’t look sharp in camp. I know he’s the backup QB, and he’s a vet who may take a while to find a groove, but if Romo is out for any length of time, I want to believe that we can still function.
- Anthony Henry was reportedly toasted quite a few times by the receivers, and even Newman was burnt by Owens a few times. I don’t worry about Newman, but I do worry about Henry. With our new aggressive blitz scheme, the corners have to be on in press coverage.
- Julius Jones not working out at Valley Ranch. It’s not a huge deal, but it obviously irked Phillips enough that he mentioned it twice in press conferences. JJ has said he will now train at Valley Ranch, so it should be all good.
- Terrell Owens talking to the press. Yes, it’s inevitable, but the less we hear from Owens the better. I was hoping he was going to break out a Cone of Silence left behind by Parcells, and activate it on himself.
What did you like or dislike about the recently completed camp?