Thursday, I wrote about contract considerations which may drive the Cowboys' draft selections, starting twelve days from now. Today, I'm going to offer several different three-round scenarios which have the dual benefits of adding young talent at key spots, while allowing the Cowboys to whack bad contracts, either this year or next:
- Rd. 1 -- Maurkice Pouncey, C
- Rd. 2 -- Brandon LaFell, WR
- Rd. 3 -- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB
You've set up three expensive starters, Andre Gurode Gurode, Roy Williams and Terence Newman, that competition has arrived.
- Rd. 1 -- Dez Bryant, WR
- Rd. 2 -- Vladimir Ducasse, OT/G
- Rd. 3 -- Brandon Ghee, CB
Different rotation, but the same positions are targeted. Ducasse could pressure Leonard Davis at RG.
- Rd. 1 -- Devin McCourty, CB
- Rd. 2 -- John Jerry, G/T
- Rd. 3 -- Taylor Price, WR
McCourty would be groomed to take Terence Newman's place opposite Mike Jenkins either in '11 or '12.
Scenario Four (trade down)
- Rd. 2A -- Arrelious Benn, WR
- Rd. 2B -- Tyson Alualu, DE
- Rd. 3A -- John Jerry, G
- Rd. 3B -- Rafael Priest, CB
Take your shots at more bad-deal shaving scenarios in the threads.