Nobody is challenging Tony Romo for his starting spot anytime soon. And guys like , and quite a few others on the team will work hard in camp, but will not be competing for their starting spot.
But there are starting jobs on the team where a starter - while currently penciled in on the depth chart - may not have a very firm grip on his starting spot. Most of those contested spots can be found on defense, where there are quite a few spots that should see some heavy competition in training camp.
Listed below are five of the potentially most tightly contested starting spots as the Cowboys head into training camp. For each position I've listed the presumptive current starter and added the players they have to beat out or hold off for a starting job.
- Middle Linebacker: Justin Durant (over DeVonte Holloman, Anthony Hitchens)
- Right Defensive End: DeMarcus Lawrence (over Jeremy Mincey, Martez Wilson)
- Free Safety: J. J. Wilcox (over Jakar Hamilton, Jeff Heath, Matt Johnson)
- Right Cornerback: Orlando Scandrick (over Morris Claiborne)
- The 11th player on offense: This will be a battle of the 2nd TE/ FB/ 3WR. In some ways this isn't a starter, as this person is subject to change game to game. But I do think it's a legit question, or set of questions: Is Escobar ready? Do they have a fullback capable of being a three-down guy? Who is WR3, and can he be versatile enough to play inside and outside, making Dallas less predictable? Escobar vs. Clutts vs. Copeland vs. Beasley vs. Street
Let us know in the comments and in the attached poll which starting spots you are most worried about.