This past Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys defense shut down the Philadelphia Eagles' up-tempo, no-huddle offense. The Eagles managed a measly three points until they grabbed a touchdown in garbage time. The Eagles rushing stats, seven yards on 17 attempts, were so mind-boggling that you had to think it was a misprint. It wasn't.
One of the big reasons the Cowboys were able to shut down the running game of the Eagles, including DeMarco Murray? The return to the playing field of Sean Lee. He was sorely missed in the 2014 season, but now that he's back the Cowboys defense is playing stout. For his efforts against the Eagles, Lee was named the Defensive Player of the Week in the NFC. A sampling of what he did:
- Lee had a game-high 14 tackles, an interception and two passes defensed in the Cowboys' 20-10 win at Philadelphia.
- Five of his tackles came within two yards of the line of scrimmage or behind, including two for a loss. He had four tackles against the run which resulted in a total of minus-five yards.
- In the third quarter, with the Cowboys leading 13-0, the Eagles drove to the Dallas three-yard line. On second-and-goal, Lee intercepted a pass in the end zone to end the scoring threat.
- Lee was part of a defensive unit that allowed 226 total net yards and seven net rushing yards.
- With 1:21 remaining in the game, Lee sealed the victory by recovering the onside kick.
- In his sixth year from Penn State, this is Lee's third career Player of the Week Award. He was previously honored in Week 13, 2010 and Week 7, 2013.
- Lee is one of three Cowboys to win Defensive Player of the Week at least three times. He joins DE MARCUS WARE (four) and ED "TOO TALL" JONES (three).
With Tony Romo and Dez Bryant out of action for a while, the Cowboys will need their defense to come up big. Now that Sean Lee is back, there is confidence that the defense can carry the team for a stretch.
|Don’t forget to resister for our Blogging the Boys meet-up!
Oct 24-25, 2015
Cowboys-Giants in the beautiful Poconos
|Three awesome Cowboys-centric events!|
|Saturday, October 24
(8:00-10:00 PM): Dinner the night before the game
|Sunday, October 25
(9:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Pre-game brunch
|Sunday, October 25
(4:30-8:30 PM) Cowboys-Giants game, with free buffet
|Click Here to RSVP||Click here for more information on pricing, lodging, etc.|