Everyone in and around the game has a thought or three regarding Tony Romo’s future. Just tune in to ESPN or read any sports page and you are certain to see that Romo is going to wind up here....or there. Check back later and you find out he is headed someplace else. For now, Jerry Jones is as uncertain as the rest of us. All the Dallas Cowboys owner knows is that somehow the team will work through its present situation.
Jones has declined to discuss or speculate on a potential resolution since the offseason began.
“This is what it is. It’s a juncture that we have to address,” Jones said. “I don’t know how ultimately we will resolve this and nobody should be alarmed because you don’t have all the answers. There’s some issues here that you just have to see how the cards are played. But we’ll work through this.
“The main thing about this is we will work through it. We have a sound enough foundation together that on an individual basis we’ll get through this.”
Romo might be the biggest question being asked but it is most certainly not the only one being asked. Dallas drafter linebacker Jaylon Smith with no promise when or even if he would be able to play professional football. This situation is looking like it might become more clear once the team begins to get into organized activities.
Smith has been working hard to get himself back on the gridiron, and on Thursday the next positive sign became clear as the player released video of his recent workout.
The nerve damage sustained by the injury caused some teams to pass on the speedy linebacker, who was projected to be a top-10 pick before the injury. The nerve damage has reportedly improved in recent months.
The Cowboys picked Smith in the second round last season knowing he might miss most, if not all, of the season. If he can come back close to the player he was in college, the Cowboys' defense will get a big boost in 2017.
Gavin Escobar is one of those players on the Dallas roster that triggers different reactions from everyone. Some see him as a wasted roster slot while others feel that the reserve tight end fills a role in the organization. Regardless, the time is coming where the Cowboys are going to have to make a decision on his future. Daniels gives us a breakdown of the reasons for and against keeping Escobar.
Argument to Keep: At 6-6 and 254 pounds, Escobar has proven to be tough for opponents to handle at times in the passing game. And he’s a definite red-zone threat, as 26.7 percent of his career catches have gone for touchdowns. If the Cowboys ever did decide to get serious about working him into their passing game more, he could become a valuable offensive weapon.
Argument to Let Go: Of course, the Cowboys are showing no signs of utilizing Escobar consistently in that way, so there’s little chance of him returning. Like Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett before him, Escobar is probably ready to try greener pastures elsewhere.
We might be double dipping on the free agents, but that time of year is fast approaching. Mo Claiborne is the one first round draft pick that Dallas has whiffed on in recent seasons. He was re-signed as a free agent last year and started off on the right track before the injuries that plagued his career once again reared their head.
Rather than sign him and hope for the best, the Cowboys might prefer to invest in a heathier option.
While uncertainty might be the word of the day, someone seems to have forgotten to include Dak Prescott on the distribution list. The Cowboys quarterback is ‘so confident’ in the future of the team that he is more than willing to tell the world that the future is bright in Dallas.
He was posed a question about his confidence level in the Cowboys’ chances of making it to Super Bowl 52, and his response, courtesy of the Dallas Morning News, was telling:
“So confident,” Prescott said. “I don’t think anyone has more confidence in me than I do in myself. Not only myself but this team, organization, it’s the Cowboys.
“We’re excited for what’s to come for our growth as a unit, as a team as an organization. We’ve got a great young team and we’re looking for a lot more.”
There is one final certainty. Just about everyone is glad that Joseph Randle is no longer associated with the organization. The former Dallas running back finds himself once again at odds with the law. The latest stems from an assault, which Randle terms ‘self defense’, on a fellow inmate.
The Wichita Eagle reported that the aggravated battery and disorderly conduct charges filed Wednesday stem from a confrontation Friday in the Sedgwick County Jail. He now has five criminal cases pending against him in the county, where he has been jailed since June.