The claiming period for the players waived during final cuts on Saturday is fairly short: Players placed on waivers during the final roster cuts can only be claimed until 12:00 noon ET on Sunday. After that, starting at 1:00 pm ET, the Cowboys can begin signing up to 10 players to their practice squad, and the hope is that they'll be able to sign all the players they have earmarked for a slot on their practice squad.
Vested veterans (with four years of pension credit) are are not waived but are released. They immediately become free agents, are not subject to the waiver system, and can sign with any team as soon as they want.
But not all the players the Cowboys waived or released during final cuts will be claimed or signed by another team, or will they? Here is a non-exhaustive list of recently cut players who could garner some interest:
- The three draft picks might be the most obvious choice, as they at least have their draft pedigree going for them. CB Marquez White, and DTs Joey Ivie and Jordan Carrell might have some name recognition in other front offices.
- DT Lewis Neal got a lot of hype during preseason, but it wasn't enough for the Cowboys to keep him on the 53-man roster. Are there LSU fans elsewhere that can get as excited about him as parts of the Cowboys media?
- P/K Sam Irwin-Hill stood out in the preseason as a competent kicker and punter, and given the dearth of quality at the position across the league, teams might take a flyer on him.
- Veteran safety Robert Blanton will likely find a job with another team, but it might take a while for that to happen.
- Veteran OT Emmett Cleary might be an option for an extremely tackle-needy team.
Or are we Cowboys fans significantly overrating the attractiveness of our own roster cuts, and not one of the Cowboys' roster cuts will be signed elsewhere?
On roster cut day in 2015, we asked readers here on Blogging The Boys the same question we're asking today, which players are most likely to be claimed by another team. Here are the results from the 2015 poll:
Ben Gardner of course would not end up getting picked up by any team until he was signed to the Chargers practice squad in November.
Laurence Gibson signed on to the Chiefs PS the next day, Tim Scott was signed to the Cowboys practice squad three days later, Nick Harwell needed until December to be signed to the Titans PS, and A.J. Jenkins retired from the NFL.
But that was then, and this is now.
Take the poll and let us know who you think is the player most likely to get picked up by another team by tomorrow.
Which Cowboys player cut today is most likely to be claimed by another team?
This poll is closed
CB Marquez White
DT Joey Ivie
DT Jordan Carrell
DT Lewis Neal
P/K Sam Irwin-Hill
S Robert Blanton
OT Emmett Cleary