With Preseason halfway over, I think it is time for a new 53 man roster prediction (as I know everyone loves those).
QB: Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush
- Mike White has not shown enough to earn a fabled QB3 spot on the roster. He is one for the PS.
- I will consider Tavon a RB, as that is what they called his position when they initially picked him up. Bo sits on the practice squad, as he is battling an injury and Darius Jackson looked too good to not keep as of right now. If Bo is able to heal up, I think he may have the advantage over Jackson, as he plays special teams.
- Noah Brown and Deonte Thompson are both hurt and missing very valuable time during training camp. Noah will probably get put on the practice squad. Thompson has a good chance on the team though if he can fight his injury and show he is the best deep threat on this team. I hope he becomes the new Brice Butler, which I think will be a crucial role for how the offense is going to work.
- I have been convinced since the draft that Rico will not make the team. However, things just keep working out in his favor. Mike White having a cruddy preseason, Schultz not doing anything, and the uncertainty of Jarwin's blocking add up to him not being cut. I hope he can turn into a nice vertical threat for Dak.
- This is a pretty obvious one. Looney is a very competent backup and I was very excited when we resigned him. Hopefully he steps it up if Fredbeard or Martin have to miss time. Edwards has also shown he can get the job done. Fleming has not shown to be good at all in preseason. I hope he figures it out soon in the coming weeks. I have been defending Chaz for the longest, but after last week, that was my last straw. I hate to see a guy be out of the job, but at this point, he is a liability to all the RBs, Dak, and Cooper.
- This has been an effective group with a lot of promise. I know a lot of people complain about Crawford's flexibility, but if Gregory and Armstrong keep playing lights out, I can see him slide inside for passing downs. I forsee a lot of sacks, TFLs, pressures, and FFs with this group. Ealy does not make the cut after a lousy preseason, as of now.
- Collins should be good to go by week 1. I do not believe that Datone Jones will be ready by Week 1. If he is, Jihad is probably out of the job. Everyone knows Woods had a monster game against the 49ers. Ross has also been sneaky good. Price is consistent as usual. Ward probably gets booted when Irving gets back, unless he really shows something special.
- Pretty obvious group here. Our backups have been quite impressive, even though March-Lillard didn't do too hot against the Bengals. Unless he makes some major mistakes, I believe he keeps Covington on the PS. I have also been suprised by Damien Wilson. It seems he came to play this season. Perhaps he feels the heat.
- Byron and Chidobe have been amazing thus far. I get butterflies thinking about that tandem this season. After them, there is much to be desired. I really hope either Brown or Lewis pick it up, as I just want to mark their prior performances as hiccups. Thomas will probably win the last corner spot, unless Marquez White shows he can play better.
- This is probably the scariest spot on this entire roster. If our starters can stay healthy, I'd be somewhat comfortable. However, they have not. Our top 3 safeties have each battled some injury so far, minor or major. I do not think that Woods will be ready week 1. I left him in this roster as it will be either him or his replacement. I hope Cowboys make a move for ET3 or Iloka. Robinson appears to be doing the best of the UDFA secondary players, so he gets the spot because he has shown his willingness to support the run.
- Not much to say here. One of the best special teams units in the NFL. I think Bailey will return to his old self. Even if he does not, he will still be an above average kicker for the team. I hope we are not put in a lot of situations where we have to rely on him a ton though.