The claiming period for players waived during final cuts on Saturday is fairly short: Players placed on waivers during the final roster cuts can only be claimed until 12:00 noon ET on Sunday. After that, starting at 1:00 pm ET, the Cowboys, and every other NFL team, can begin signing up to 10 players to their practice squad, and the hope is that they’ll be able to sign all the players they have earmarked for a slot on their practice squad.
Vested veterans (with four years of pension credit) are are not waived but are released. They immediately become free agents, are not subject to the waiver system, and can sign with any team as soon as they want.
But not all the players the Cowboys waived or released during final cuts will be claimed or signed by another team, or will they? Here is a non-exhaustive list of recently cut players who could garner some interest:
- K Dan Bailey is the obvious choice, of course. But there must be more going on behind the scenes than we currently know, and might that scare other teams off? In any case, one of the best kickers in NFL history is bound to get a some interest, so I’m excluding him from the poll below.
- WR Deonte Thompson looked like a roster lock for a while, but then suddenly he wasn’t. Will there be interest in a WR who didn’t make the roster on a team that many believe has the worst WR corps in the league?
- RB Bo Scarbrough at least has his draft pedigree going for him, and his name recognition might get the attention of other front offices.
- DE Charles Tapper is a former fourth-round pick who got caught in a numbers game at defensive end. In most previous years, he’d have likely made the Cowboys roster, but this year is unlike any in recent memory - at least on the defensive line.
- DT Jihad Ward got a lot of hype during preseason, but it wasn’t enough for the Cowboys to keep him on the 53-man roster.
- OG Chaz Green is a former third-round pick, and many teams are desperate for O-line help. But there is that Atlanta tape. Green will likely find a job with another team, but it might take a while for that to happen.
- WR Lance Lenoir was a fan favorite in preseason, might he follow the likes of Andre Holmes or Danny Amendola as former Cowboys who didn’t make the cut but found work elsewhere?
Or is the imagined interest in these players just a figment of Cowboys fans’ imagination? Do we as Cowboys fans significantly overrate the attractiveness of our own roster cuts? The evidence says we do:
On roster cut day in 2015, we asked readers here on Blogging The Boys the same question we’re asking today, which players are most likely to be claimed by another team.
Ben Gardner won that poll in a landslide, garnering 79% of the 4,539 votes, but nobody signed him off the waiver wire. The Chargers picked him up in November of that year, but he never made it past their practice squad.
Last year, the same question led to a slightly more balanced poll result. CB Marquez White led the poll with 36% of the 4,648 votes cast.
The top vote-getters, Marquez White and Lewis Neal, didn’t garner any waiver wire interest from other teams and ended up on the Cowboys’ practice squad. And that’s the good news.
None of the other players were picked up by a team immediately after roster cuts, though some (Joey Ivie, Robert Blanton, Emmett Cleary) were eventually picked up by other teams last year.
But that was then, and this is now.
Take the poll and let us know who you think is the player most likely to get picked up by another team tomorrow.
Which Cowboys player cut today (and not named Dan Bailey) is most likely to be claimed by another team?
This poll is closed
WR Deonte Thompson
RB Bo Scarbrough
DE Charles Tapper
DT Jihad Ward
OG Chaz Green
WR Lance Lenoir