When you say it like that - the 58th overall pick - it sounds heavy and bad. It sounds like 57 players are going to be off the board so the odds of selecting someone good aren’t exactly high.
For what it’s worth, there have been a handful of very good players taken with the 58th overall pick in the last decade. A trip down memory lane, if you will.
58th Overall Picks (2009-2018):
- 2009: Sebastian Vollmer, OT, New England Patriots
- 2010: Ben Tate, RB, Houston Texans
- 2011: Torrey Smith, WR, Baltimore Ravens
- 2012: Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 2013: Montee Ball, RB, Denver Broncos
- 2014: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, New Orleans Saints
- 2015: Markus Golden, DE, Arizona Cardinals
- 2016: Sean Davis, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers
- 2017: Ethan Pocic, C, Seattle Seahawks
- 2018: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Atlanta Falcons
The best player on this list is probably linebacker Lavonte David, but if the Cowboys landed somebody who had a career like Torrey Smith they’d hardly be upset.
In a recent mock the Cowboys landed Alabama defensive tackle Isaiah Buggs. That’s certainly a position of need for them as are safety, tight end, and slot receiver. Free agency could change some of these priorities, but if you know the Cowboys, then it likely won’t.
When the night of the draft rolls around it will take a lot of patience (and an extra day) to get to the point when the Cowboys are on the clock. Rest assured that when that moment comes there will absolutely be someone there who they can use.