There is going to be a lot happening with the Dallas Cowboys over the course of the next few weeks, coaching searches tend to feel that way for NFL teams. Of course, at the time of this writing, the Dallas Cowboys have not technically announced that they are in the market for a head coach. While that is literally true, the announcement of it really just remains a formality as it is understood that the Cowboys will in fact be looking for a new show-runner.
We have heard a lot of names connected to the Cowboys for some time. There are a few names from the world of college football including Oklahoma Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley and Urban Meyer who most recently coached at Ohio State.
One name that’s also been floated out, Jerry Jones even went out of his way to bring him up a few weeks ago during a radio appearance, is Baylor’s Matt Rhule. It’s no secret that Rhule is a hot commodity for NFL teams and that includes organizations like the New York Giants that are also in need of a new head coach.
According to Yahoo’s Charles Robinson, there is concern from the Giants that Rhule could in fact be the top candidate for the Dallas Cowboys job. That’s interesting.
6. Talking to people w/ #Giants, Baylor’s Matt Rhule is probably the favorite, but there is concern that Rhule is going to be in demand and could end up being the top target for the #Cowboys. Being the first team to get Rhule in the interview door might be an interesting race.— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) December 30, 2019
If Rhule is in fact the top choice for multiple organizations the decision will clearly be his to make. He has New York ties so the Giants certainly make sense, but this is the Dallas Cowboys after all. That used to mean something and to many it still does.
Rhule is finishing his third season as the head coach at Baylor. He previously coached at Temple for the four years prior.
Matt Rhule coaching record:
- 2013 (Temple): 2-10
- 2014 (Temple): 6-6
- 2015 (Temple): 10-4... lost the Boca Raton Bowl
- 2016 (Temple): 10-3... lost the Military Bowl
- 2017 (Baylor): 1-11
- 2018 (Baylor): 7-6... won the Texas Bowl
- 2019 (Baylor): 11-2... will play Georgia in the Sugar Bowl on Wednesday
If you don’t know much about the world of college football you need to know that the situation Rhule inherited when he got to Waco was a disaster, that’s why he only won a single game in his first season. Baylor has taken time to rebuild and the fact that Rhule has done that has a lot of people noticing.
Do you want Matt Rhule to be the next Cowboys coach?
This poll is closed