As free agency slows down for the Cowboys, we’re taking a look back at their signings and evaluating the good and the bad of each. Today we examine the Cowboys re-signing Cam Fleming.
Swing tackle is an important depth position in the NFL. The Cowboys found that out the hard way when they tried to use Chaz Green as their primary backup tackle and almost got Dak Prescott killed. The reverberations of the Atlanta game with Green playing lasted for a long time.
Tyron Smith hasn't had the best run of health recently, missing three games in each of the last three seasons. With Smith’s back issues, the swing tackle is likely to be needed at least a few games each year. Additionally, the Cowboys only have La’el Collins under contract for the 2019 season. After that he is a free agent.
Fleming came over from the Patriots last year and played three games in place of Tyron Smith. The Cowboys won all three of those games and they put up over 30 points in two of them. He was also the left tackle for the Cowboys huge 13-10 win over the New Orleans Saints.
Fleming’s deal is for two years at a total value of $7.5 million. $1.5 million of his contract is guaranteed. In 2019 his cap hit is $2.25 million but in 2020 his cap hit balloons to $5.25 million. The Cowboys do have an easy out though and could cut him before the 2020 season and only incur a $750,000 dead money hit. (Spotrac)
- Was solid in the three games he played last year.
- Has some decent starting experience for a depth, swing tackle (23 starts in five seasons).
- His 2019 cap number is a very reasonable $2.25 million.
- Helps out by playing on 13% of the special teams snaps.
- In five seasons has yet to find a permanent starting spot, could he hold up over an extended period of play?
- 2020 cap hit would be very expensive if he is not a starter.
- Consistency with his technique is an issue that can strike at different times.
So what’s your call BTB? How do you feel about the signing of Cam Fleming? Vote in the poll and hit the comments.
What grade would you give the signing of Cam Fleming?
This poll is closed
A - Perfect depth for a reasonable price.
B - Reliable player for a swing tackle.
C - He’s okay for now, but the Cowboys should keep looking.
D - He’s never going to be a starter, too much money in 2020.
F - I don’t trust him and never will.
Previous Pros & Cons