When the Dallas Cowboys were eliminated from the playoffs last Sunday, the vast majority of fans and observers expected an announcement on the coaching situation soon after. Surely Jerry Jones would announce the team was moving on from Jason Garrett and that a search for the new coach would take place. It’s Wednesday now, and after two meetings between Garrett, Jerry and his son Stephen, no announcement has been made. The whole process is shrouded in mystery. In a vacuum of information, people will supply their own theories.
So let’s look at a few.
- Jerry is going to bring Garrett back. Could this really be happening? Are these meetings negotiations over a new contract and other things associated with hiring a head coach? With Jerry Jones you can never rule out any possibility.
- Jerry is torn. This theory holds that Jerry Jones truly hasn’t made up his mind yet about what he wants to do. You would think he’s had plenty of time to make a decision, this issue has been coming ever since he didn’t re-up Garrett before last season. Could he really still be deliberating?
- They are showing respect for Garrett. Jerry and Jason have always been close, so by not “firing” him right away they are showing him some type of respect. This theory had a corollary when it was tweeted that Garrett’s contract wouldn’t run out until Jan. 1st (today). That way they would wait and just say Garrett’s contract expired instead of “firing” him. But... Todd Archer said his contract runs through Jan. 14th, so they would have to wait a long time to make that happen.
- The Joneses know who they want and they aren’t available yet. This theory, outlined in further detail by our own R.J. Ochoa, holds that the Cowboys know who they want to replace Jason Garrett, but since they can’t talk to them yet they are in no hurry.
- Garrett to the front office. In this one, the idea is that the Joneses are trying to keep Garrett as some kind of front office executive, a proverbial “kicked up stairs” situation, and that they are working out the details of that and Garrett is deciding if he wants to do it.
- The Joneses are dating around before breaking up. One last theory that says Jerry and Stephen have asked Garrett to wait for a decision, and in the meantime they are going to speak with a few candidates they really like. In this situation, Garrett is their backup option. If they can’t land a new coach from a short list, they’ll go back to Garrett.
So given what you know and what you think, which theory are you buying? Or do you have one to share in the comments not listed here?
What theory do you buy about the Cowboys coaching situation?
This poll is closed
They are bringing Garrett back
They are undecided about Garrett’s future
They are delaying in a show of respect for Garrett
They already have a replacement in mind and are waiting to talk to them
They are moving Garrett to the front office
They are going to date a little before deciding on Garrett