clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

UPDATE: Dak Prescott issues statement regarding “dinner party” amid social distancing controversy

New, comments

The Cowboys QB finally speaks about his recent party.

NFL: Washington Redskins at Dallas Cowboys Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Recently, there was some controversy over whether Dak Prescott held a party that wasn’t in compliance with the rules of social distancing in the age of COVID-19. Pictures, which included Ezekiel Elliott, appeared to show a group of people at a party at Prescott’s house and it was said to have been attended by 30 people. That was more than the guidelines of no more than 10 people at a social gathering. The pictures also appeared to show a dinner table set that would have violated the guideline of six-feet apart for individuals.


UPDATE: That dinner table snap is now being disputed.

END UPDATE


Police were eventually called to the residence, but could not confirm the party. Instead, they issued this statement.

3:34 PM PTProsper PD tells TMZ Sports it responded to a report of a potential party at Dak’s home. However, “the officer was unable to verify the report of a ‘party’; therefore, he just reminded the resident of the current CDC guidelines — to include social distancing.”

There were varying reports of how many people were there with some reports saying up to 30 people while sources close to Prescott responding that it wasn’t more than ten. There had been no word from Prescott until today when he issued a statement through PFT.

“I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now,” Prescott said in a statement issued to PFT. “To set the record straight, I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner — not a party — on Friday night. I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours. We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic and I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities.”

Earlier today Stephen Jones also noted that the team has discussed the situation with Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott.

We’ve certainly communicated with Dak and Zeke,” Jones told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “And I think they’re certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are. I don’t think you’ll be seeing that any more. They are certainly guys we have the utmost respect for. I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we’re in, it’s certainly very serious, and something we know they understand.”

Prescott had also recently worked out with former Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant and when a photo of the group hit social media people noted that nobody seemed to be following the six-feet-apart rule. Talk continued when video of them working out together came out after that.