Offense is king in today’s NFL. As a result of the hierarchy that exists in modern day football, teams that have elite offenses generally tend to have more success. Thankfully for all of us, this is something that the Dallas Cowboys seem to understand and have invested in. They are now reaping the benefits.
Of course, there is the Cowboys defense that is chipping in and helping out which has made everything work together. From a composite standpoint, Dallas has one of the best teams in the NFL and looks like it should have an advantage in each and every game from here on and out.
At the very least the Dallas Cowboys should win 7 more more games
Something that we have been doing every week here at BTB has been looking at the Cowboys’ remaining opponents through the lens of Offensive EPA/Play and Defensive EPA/Play Allowed. This information changes week to week after each team plays another game.
Last week reinforced the notion that the Cowboys offense is going to have an advantage against every defense that they will face throughout the rest of the season. Interestingly the team’s Offensive EPA/Play regressed last week (the lack of a touchdown from the Cowboys at the end of the first half in New England had a lot to do with that), but they are still likely going to have their way with opposing defenses.
We are comparing colors to colors here. A breakdown:
- The dotted grey line represents the stability of the Cowboys offense where the solid grey line represents the stability of opposing defenses. As you can see the solid grey line never breaks the dotted one (upwards) which is how we know that Dallas has the advantage every week at the present time.
- The dotted blue line represents the stability of the Cowboys defense where the solid blue line represents the stability of opposing offenses. Any time where the solid blue line is below the dotted blue line is where the Cowboys defense has an advantage which includes most of their remaining opponents.
Interestingly enough, the Cowboys’ Defensive EPA/Play Allowed is actually higher than most of their remaining opponents as well.
- Dallas Cowboys Offensive EPA/Play: .150
- Average Remaining Opponent Defensive EPA/Play Allowed: .049
- Dallas Cowboys Defensive EPA/Play Allowed: -.036 (negative is better)
- Average Remaining Opponent Offensive EPA/Play: .041
Assuming anything is a dangerous thing in sports, but the Cowboys have been performing very well. It seems like a foregone conclusion that they are going to win the NFC East this year (by the way here is our rooting guide for Week 7) and there is every reason to believe that they are going to be a team to do some damage in the playoffs.
Speaking of the NFC East though we recently took a look at exactly when the Cowboys will be able to celebrate their accomplishments with some caps and t-shirts. We laid out our thoughts right here.
Make sure to subscribe to the Blogging The Boys YouTube Channel (which you can do right here) so you don’t miss any of our other shows or videos!