We are about six weeks into the NFL offseason and things have already been rather eventful for the Dallas Cowboys. In the eleventh hour with regards to the franchise tag deadline, the Cowboys finally, after two years of trying, got a long-term deal done with quarterback Dak Prescott. They are now set up, especially after restructures that created salary cap space, to be players in a free agency period that is expected to include a number of available veterans for lower-than-usual amounts.
At the time of this post’s original publication OverTheCap.com has the Cowboys with $18.8M in salary cap space. This post will be constantly updated to reflect all of the latest news, rumors, and information that you need to know with regards to America’s Team and how they are handling free agency.
The Cowboys need a lot of help on the defensive side of the ball and have generally sat the first wave of free agency out over the years. Given just how porous their defense is though, is this the year that all of that changes?
Here is our official Dallas Cowboys free agency tracker. Bookmark and expect updates to follow.
Last updated on Thursday, April 15th, 2021 at 11:15 am ET.
Friday, April 15th
- Aldon Smith is headed to the Seattle Seahawks on a one-year deal.
Wednesday, April 7th
- Dallas is bringing on another tight end, Jeremy Sprinkle.
- The Cowboys are signing punter Bryan Anger to a one-year deal, according to NFL Network.
Friday, March 27th
- Former Cowboys safety Xavier Woods is headed to the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year deal.
Thursday, March 25th
- Mike McCarthy spoke to the media and revealed that Tyrone Crawford is retiring.
- Late Thursday evening it was reported that the Cowboys are signing safety Damontae Kazee.
Wednesday, March 24th
- It was reported that Dallas will not be bringing back Aldon Smith in 2021.
- Reports stated that the Cowboys were not in on any of Malik Hooker, Damontae Kazee, or Jayron Kearse after their visits with the team on Wednesday.
- On Wednesday night it was reported that the Cowboys agreed to terms on a one-year deal with Jayron Kearse. It was also noted that they are not necessarily out of the running with either Damontae Kazee or Malik Hooker.
Tuesday, March 23rd
- The Cowboys are brining in safety Jayron Kearse for a visit on Wednesday the 24th.
Saturday, March 20th
- The Cowboys agreed to terms on a one-year deal with S Keanu Neal
Friday, March 19th
- The Cowboys are expected to host free agent safety Damontae Kazee on a visit next week.
- Friday saw the Cowboys re-sign Malik Turner, but they also waived four: Marcus Henry, Cole Hikutini, Jon’Vea Johnson, and Chris Lacy.
- Free agent safety Keanu Neal is reportedly deciding whether to be the WLB for the Dallas Cowboys or New York Jets.
- Dallas is expected to visit with free agent safety Malik Hooker next week.
Thursday, March 18th
- Dallas agreed to terms with defensive lineman Carlos Watkins.
- Tight end Blake Bell is returning to the Kansas City Chiefs.
- The Cowboys agreed to terms with defensive lineman Brent Urban.
- There is a new pass rusher in town, say hello to Tarell Basham.
Wednesday, March 17th
- The terms of Ty Nsekhe’s deal with the Cowboys are in and are very nice.
- Dallas released punter Chris Jones. All the best to him.
- The Cowboys are bringing back Jourdan Lewis on a three-year deal worth a max of $16.5M with $8M guaranteed, according to ESPN.
Tuesday, March 16th
- Chidobe Awuzie is joining the Cincinnati Bengals on a three-year deal.
- According to ESPN the Cowboys’ free agent strategy is “waiting until things settle. Nothing big.”
- The Cowboys are bringing cornerback and special teams ace CJ Goodwin back on a two-year, $3.5M deal that includes $2M guaranteed, according to ESPN.
- The Cowboys agreed to terms on a one-year deal with offensive tackle Ty Nsekhe.
- Andy Dalton is headed to the Chicago Bears. All the best to him.
- Dallas is reportedly among the teams interested in free agent safety Keanu Neal.
Monday, March 15th
- The Cowboys would reportedly like to have Andy Dalton back “if it works out” monetarily.
- Cam Erving is reportedly working on a two-year, $10M deal with the Carolina Panthers.
- According to The Dallas Morning News the Cowboys have interest in FS Damontae Kazee. Kazee worked with Dan Quinn and Joe Whitt Jr. in Atlanta.
- ESPN reported that the Cowboys are “bracing” to lose Andy Dalton in free agency.
- Dallas placed tenders on Cedrick Wilson and Antwaun Woods.
- Noah Brown made it seem like he is returning to the Cowboys on his Instagram page.
- It was confirmed that Noah Brown is indeed returning.
- The Cowboys are moving on from long snapper L.P. Ladouceur after 16 years of service.
- There is a new long-snapper in town, though. Say hello to Jake McQuaide.
- Linebacker Joe Thomas is leaving the Cowboys but staying in Texas as he is headed to the Houston Texans.
Monday, March 8th
- Cowboys agree to four-year deal with Dak Prescott for $160 million.